Saturday, July 20, 2013

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: A Healing Show

You know those days, weeks, months where just every thing is going wrong and you want to escape for at least a little while and not worry about whatever is happening in your life. I have had, in my opinion, way too many of these days and feel like I have become an expert on what I like to call "Healing Shows". These shows somehow just make everything seem a little better and help with my healing process, until I am whole again or at least whole enough to pull myself back together. The main show that I go to when I'm having a hard time is Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Actually that is what I'm watching now.

I love this show, because for the last couple of years, whenever something has happened that affected me in such an adverse way it just brightens my day. The characters are real and flawed and above all it values FRIENDSHIP and not LOVE.  I think sometimes everyone needs to be reminded that friendship is one of the most important things in life.  Friendship falls by the wayside too much when love comes into the picture. With Buffy, friendship and love are treated equally for the most part.  Friendship sometimes even takes a backseat to love and this is probably one of the things I like best about this show.  Plain and simple I love this show and just watching it makes me smile.

This goes especially true for certain episodes, in particular Once More With Feeling. After some really low points in my life I've watched this episode and feel much better about everything that has happened. The episode just makes me very happy, even though it really isn't that happy at all.

Here's hoping the healing goes quickly, this time.


No comments:

Post a Comment