Saturday, April 25, 2015

The Discovery of OZ

Hello Again! Over the past couple of weeks I have been thinking of new blog ideas and this was put on the back burner due to me binge watching OZ. OZ was on HBO during the later '90s and early '00s, therefore I came into this show somewhat blind. As I wouldn't have read about this show when it was airing or if I had, none of it stuck with me. I am currently watching season 5 and I have to say what I like most about the show is that they cast mostly unknown people, at that time, so that you can believe that these people are in OZ. While the warden is played by Ernie Hudson from Ghostbusters, the time period between the two projects, helps him remain grounded, as well as the difference between the two characters. The show is very gritty and not polished so it feels authentic and makes it that much more enjoyable to watch.

Not only is the show set up to look gritty, the stories that it tells are also gritty. This is not a happy-go- lucky prison, this is a prison where you hope you make it from day to day and you really don't know who you can trust. While it does have some funny moments, for the most part OZ is a dramatic show about life in prison. The character interactions drive the show and make you keep watching and hoping that someone will change or someone will die, it might happen or it might not,  but you keep watching. I do admit that the first season is very painful to get through but the rest of the series makes up for that and I've flown threw the past couple of seasons. I give you a little taste of the show, with one of my favorite stills. Hope you look into OZ and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment